Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Eat Pray Love (Southside Version)

I decided to go out of town last weekend. It was a pretty simple route--- South Cebu (via Santander), then I crossed the sea going to Dumaguete and drove as far as Jimalawud in Negros Oriental, and then I went to Siquijor. I just wanted to get away from things and spend some time with myself.

Backpacker's trip--- that's what I have missed doing for the longest time. All I brought was an all-in-one Kiehl's Cross-Trainer Shower Gel, a toothbrush, sunblock, 2 sets of clothes and undies, some cash and Megatron (my ever-reliable pick-up). I went out of the city with a full tank and I was good to go.

I just wanted to have an Eat Pray Love moment before I turn 30 on March 28. The best time to really just go out and have fun is over the summer. It's my favorite part of the year coz I'm a water-baby and I love the beaches and cliff-diving. Believe me, I would go and jump out of a cliff before any of the "real" boys do.

The trip was fun. I encountered a few problems along the way, specifically on that 4-hour drive from Dumaguete City to Jimalawud, Negros Oriental. Apparently, Megatron is a diva who doesnt like rocky, bumpy roads (my car is the automobile version of Mariah Carey who refuses to walk on carpeting). I got to visit that area struck my the most recent earthquake and it was crazy. :)


I got to party at Dumaguete City, and I sat down at my favorite corner at Sans Rival with my favorite cup of Irish Coffee and my crazy daily morning habit slash addiction that is Temple Run.


And then I crossed the Negros channel and went straight to the mystical island of Siquijor. I got to visit the place 4 years ago, and the place still isnt any much different from the way it was before. Life there is pretty simple, and the old Churches are still looking fantastic, and the port is clean. I was told that Tagbilaran City has the cleanest port. I dare contest that claim coz I definitely think the one in Siquijor is divine. I arrived at around 10 pm, still with no hotel reservations whatsoever. I hailed a tricycle that took me to Coco Grove Resort, undeniably one of the best resorts in the Visayas.

My stay was awesome. The only available place was the one good enough for 5 people, so the whole place was too big for me. I had 3 big beds and hotel breakfast good enough for 3. The resort was very exclusive, very quiet and you could only see a handful of locals coz the rest were all foreigners.

My drive back home to Cebu was food trip at its finest. I stopped at 3 municipalities to try out their delicacies. Argao's bodbod kabog, Dalaguete's native torta, and the killer chicharon and lechon in Carcar.

I had an awesome time. And I'm gonna do it again, this time Northwards. Hopefully I'd be able to tag someone along with me when that time comes. It's cool to be alone, but it sure would be cooler to have someone at the passenger seat.




1 comment:

  1. I have been searching for EAT PRAY LOVE Negros Version and I've found this post.

    -N.T.

    ReplyDelete