Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Laagans Outreach Program in the Islands


I had a meaningful weekend with my friends. Last Saturday, we all went to a small island in Mactan to see the poor community of Po-o. It's just a few kilometers away from our piggery and we thought that it would be the perfect spot to do an outreach program. October 9 was Jazzy's birthday, and instead of celebrating it t with the usual birthday party (which we've had for years by the way), we have decided to share the blessings instead to the kids of impoverished communities.




Po-o is a small baranggay in the island of Sta. Rosa. From Lapu-Lapu City, you may take a boat in Angasil. They do not have a decent supply of potable water, and the kids seemed undernourished. I got to talk to one of the parents there who have 6 kids (so far) and she's 7 months preggers. I know, it's just awful and the lives of these people need some serious intervention.



We fed around 70-something kids and played games with them. Indeed one of the best emotions in the world is that fleeting feeling of knowing that you made somebody very happy. Just seeing a kid smile is just rewarding beyond words. I have had different kids of adventure in the past, but this one brought a different kind of high. If I have the time and money, I would, without hesitation, do this all over again.

Come March 2011 (my birthday month), I promised to come back and do another one of these outreach programs, but this time I'd like to invite the parents and teens for some sex education and family planning.

If, by any chance, you have planned to do an outreach activity but do not know how to, do not hesitate to call me. The Laagans would be more than glad to show you how.

1 comment: