Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Congratulations, Baby Kaye


My niece (my sister Kristine's eldest kid) is graduating from gradeschool as the class valedictorian. The whole family was in glee when we learned about the awesome news. I got a bit emotional when I learned about it from a text she sent me. She said I was her inspiration all throughout. It was the warmest gush of hope that I felt thus far. When a kid says you inspire him or her, that means you matter in this world, and all the things you have worked so hard so far, including your defeats, have actually made an impact to a young one's life. To sum all that, I think I truly did a great job as an uncle. :)

My sacrifices for my family have now little by little been paying off. It's not easy to win the bread, especially when you have dreams and plans of your own. :) For so many times, I was tempted to give up. Good thing I didnt, coz now I am receiving blessings far more than I ever expected. And there will be more.

I fondly recall the day I first carried her in my arms. I was 17 then, and she was a tiny 6-pound baby. I cant believe she's now all grown up and ready to take on the world. She even started to talk to me about her crushes and all I could answer back was just an irritated smirk. I guess I'm just the typical, jealous uncle. Of course you dont want them to grow up too soon. :)
She asked me if I could help her out with her valedictory speech. Her first product was amazing. I made a few changes in the grammar and structure, but all in all I just gave some teeny-bit of contribution to her valediction. It was awesome frm the very start. I graduated as the class valedictorian back in gradeschool but I never really had the guts to make my own speech. It was my teacher who made my speech.

Anyways, here is her valedictory address. Kaye, I am so proudof you. Keep up the good work.


Speech:

Our Honorable Mayor Paz Radaza; our respected Schools Division Superintendent Lucia Zapanta; our beloved Principal Mr. Eduardo Ompad, beloved teachers of Lapu-Lapu City Central School, our dear parents, fellow graduates of school year 2010-2011, friends, ladies and gentlemen, good day!

The day has come for us to celebrate the fruits of what we had worked hard for in the past 6 years, and finally enter a bigger and more challenging chapter of our lives. Indeed, our elementary days had been unique for each one of us. Some of us were involved in academics, sports, music or what have you. Some would see our past 6 years in this school as a truly awesome experience, some would see it as a hard struggle to the finish, and some would see it as a combination of both. But we all would agree with one common truth today--- that there is a great future waiting for all of us, and we have been given the power to shape our very own lives from this day moving forward.

No amount of success was ever accomplished alone. I stand in front of you today humbled by the very thought that I could not have achieved anything at all without the help and the guidance of the people around me. What you see now, ladies and gentlemen, is just a simple girl shaped by the goodness of fate and the care of the people that I have looked up to. Therefore, I must begin by acknowledging those people that have helped me win my battles.

I sincerely thank my teachers and mentors for imparting their knowledge to me. I was trained and taught by the best and most affectionate mentors any student could wish for. To Ms. Glenda Pogoy, Ms. Floramie Macapaz, Mrs. Dalela Sumalinog, and all my teachers from Grade 1 to Grade 6--- I will forever be grateful. Rest assured that I will put to heart all the lessons you have taught me, and will use them to further help others appreciate the value of education. Likewise, I would like to thank our Dear Alma Mater, Lapu-Lapu City Cenral School, for recognizing my efforts. You have served as a solid foundation of education for many years, and I am deeply honored to know that I will always be a part of this institution.

I would like to thank my parents, Jezzer and Kristine Ruiz, for serving as my guiding light ever since. Mommy, Daddy--- I know life had always been tough for us. I want to thank you for your love and sacrifices. Life was never easy for our family. There were times when we barely had anything to sustain our daily needs, but you have persevered to provide me and my other siblings Jem, Jiboy and Jammie only the best. What I have achieved today is dedicated to you. My gold medal is for you. I would like to take to take this opportunity to tell you that I am so lucky and blessed to be your daughter.

To my Mamay and Papay, my Uncle Keith and Kristoffer, thank you for being my source of strength, and for always pushing me to be better. Today is just the beginning of many more accomplishments, and I can’t wait to share and enjoy them with you.

Lastly, I would like to thank our Almighty Father for all these blessings. Without HIM, I am nothing.

Fellow graduates, we have all accomplished a milestone today. This, however, is just the beginning of something bigger. Today, we accept the responsibility of making this country a better place for everyone. We are tomorrow’s doctors, engineers, nurses, architects, businessmen, and teachers. Let us all be responsible of the choices that we make. Let us instill in our hearts and minds all the lessons that we have learned from our parents and teachers in the past 6 years and put them all to good use. Let us all succeed together.

We are currently facing the toughest of situations. My heart bleeds at the thought of the thousands of lives lost in the earthquake that struck Japan barely 3 weeks ago. Likewise, I am in deep sadness when I think about the war in the Middle East. The world economy is not in perfect shape and hunger is still taking a toll on the lives of a lot of children in poor countries.
I, however would like to quote a line from the movie Mulan. Mulan’s father inspired her daughter with a line that goes--- “The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.”. Ladies and gentlemen, we are facing hardships and uncertainties. Let this be an opportunity for us to be strong and to stay hopeful. To the parents, teachers and mentors, inspire your children to always strive hard. To my fellow graduates, let us be instruments of change, optimism, kindness, generosity and courage. Let us all be tough. As they say, tough times don’t last--- but tough people do.

As this chapter of my life comes to a close, I likewise accept this responsibility. I hope you will, too.

Ladies and gentlemen, my journey to where I am now all commenced with a pact that I made to myself 6 years ago--- that I will do whatever it takes to make my family’s life better. While it seemed impossible that time, it gave me direction. It gave me a purpose. I encourage all of you today to set your goals and dreams, too. With that said, I sincerely wish you all the happiness and love that life can offer.

Thank you so much and good evening!

1 comment: