Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Eye-Opener


I wrapped up my day yesterday with a trip to Chong Hua Hospital to visit two colleagues in the office who got admitted a couple of days back due to separate reasons. One of them is my direct report who was hospitalized due to abdominal pains, and the other one is a good friend of mine from another team, who was admitted due to bladder problems.

It was weird--- two officemates in two separate floors in the hospital. I was practically hopping from one patient to another.

Today was indeed an eye-opener. While I was in my boss's room, I got the chance to listen to the doctor's assessment on her abdominal problems and she suspects it's due to fatty liver.

I'm scared of hospitals, and I freak out on the idea of being hospitalized. The last time I was in one was when my dad was brought to the ICU due to heart and kidney problems. It was really scary.

I realized today that I'm not getting any younger, and my body's not always gonna be in top shape. I am guilty of a lot of things that could render my system to deteriorate really fast. I don't eat right, I smoke and I often take the need for regular exercise for granted. I was looking at my boss in bed and I thought it could be me.

That could be me anytime soon if I do not do something.

So today I came up with resolutions.

Im gonna quit smoking. I threw away my box of cigarettes right after. It's been hours now and I'm trying SO HARD not to smoke. I have to quit now or else.

I'm gonna eat right. The doctor's lecture on what a fatty liver freaked me out big time. I dont want a fatty liver. I dont even want a fatty whatever. Hence I vow to avoid our regular buffet breakfast trips, or Joel's chicharon, or our Sunday family lechon party, or our almost-daily fastfood deliveries. It's time I learn to love fish, salad and foods that are not fried.

Run. I know a friend who used to weigh 185lbs, and he now weighs 128lbs. He did it because he developed a love for marathons. He started by running 1K, and then developed his way towards running approximately 10K everyday. Now he has legs to die for.

Vitamins. I keep on forgetting my daily pill, especially now that I live alone. I have to have those supplements, especially now that I work the night shift.

So there, I'll be vigilant about these resolutions. I guess it's all about the will power to stay healthy. I dont wanna die young. My life may not be that spectacular, but it's wonderful in every way. I still wanna live long.

1 comment: