Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

my reasons to quit always outnumber my reasons to start something noble


Sunday sermon was great.

Perseverance.

If there is something that I'm always guilty of, it is the fact that I have this bad habit of starting things and not having the perseverance to finish it. I always get so afraid halfway, and the worst part is, the temptation to quit is something that always attracts me. I have lost count on the things that I started, some actions that I have pursued, and plans that I have started that I never ever get to finish because I either get too afraid, or just get tired about it and do something else.

It's like I never run out of new things to start, but I also never run out of reasons to quit. The funny thing is, my reasons to quit always outnumber my reasons to start something noble.

Listening to the Pastor's message I thought to myself, hey maybe this is the reason why now at 27 years old I still have the silliest questions in life. I started things before that left me hanging.

Bad.

A lot of people would decide to run a race, some of them you expect to see win, only to find out that they're not even there at the finish line. The thought makes me guilty big time.


1. Sermon says: We must not be deterred by the lack of immediate results.



Beautiful Bullshit pleads guilty on this. I don’t know--- patience is a virtue I
do not possess. If I was a kid and you'd make me take the marshmallow test, I
would fail. Definitely. I want immediate results. If I want to lose 10 lbs, I
want to lose it overnight. Call me crazy, but don’t we all dream of the fastest,
quickest results? Slow is garbage.



2. Sermon says: We must not be deterred by major set-backs along the way.


Beautiful Bullshit pleads guilty again: If I pursue something, and I see some
close friends do the opposite, I completely forget my goals and go with the
flow (even if the flow OBVIOUSLY is going down the drain). Example? Smoking.
Duh.



3. Sermon says: We must not be deterred by the ridicule of others.



Beautiful Bullshit pleads guilty: Im gay, ok? What people think about me, what I
wear, how I fix my hair, among others, is a big issue for me. MAJOR as a matter
of fact. If I start a goal, and find myself ridiculed by others because it's
weird, or funny or cheap or ugly, I drop it.




So there. I realized I was doing it wrong, it's high time I change my ways. It's never to late to start something good really.

One of the biggest lessons that struck me was the sermon about perseverance and on finishing the race. I have learned that all of us are called to a race that we are supposed to finish.

I say it's totally fine to be human. We're not called to all be saints anyway. But it's never too late to start something good and finish it. I say I start with one noble goal at a time. God is always there so I'll be fine. :)
Squid sisig, anyone?

1 comment: