Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Ode to My Half-Lit Marlboro

by Keith Pareja

I felt dejected when I saw my monthly sales performance
So I cupped my hands and blew one big sigh
I felt my pocket to where I placed my box of cigarettes
I took out one stick and went downstairs to smoke

It’s cold outside, again it’s about to rain
I lit my stick and blew one big puff of smoke
And there I saw you parking your car
The car where we used to make out and fight

I haven’t seen you in ages that’s for sure
You looked clean with your orange shirt
And I can smell your Burberry cologne from afar
And you looked at me, I thought you’d smile But you didn’t.

You walked to my direction, still you’re face was blank
I stood in my spot, the cigarette still clipped in my lips
And you went to me, took the stick from my mouth
And stepped on my poor little half-consumed Marlboro

You walked away saying nothing
And I stood there cold and solid
My mind was shouting “what the f***k is wrong with you!!!”
But my mouth just uttered one feeble “errrrrr…”

I walked up to my office still caught in disbelief
Sat down and ate a handful of peanuts
I turned my speakers on. I need some slap
And David Cook sang ‘oh darling coz you’ll always be my Baby…”

Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment