Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2009

“iho, itabi mo--- ako na”


The Mar Roxas campaign irritates me.

I recall the first time I saw this campaign on TV and I went “whaaaaaaaaaat?”. Seriously I thought it was a joke, I even thought it was some snippets of that week’s Bubble gang episode. Seriously. What’s with this “iho, itabi mo--- ako na” drama.

I wrote something about this when I was in college. If I remember well, it was about “The Philippines as a Personality-Crazed Nation”. In a nutshell, it was my observation on Filipinos having to get so much influence on personalities that politics get tainted with marketing campaigns good or bad. Politicians are sold and advertised like products alongside Surf and Colgate and Jollibee.

Weird enough, no matter what an educated society we consider ourselves to be (with an education rate pegged currently at 92% of our population), the whole thing still works.
Don’t get me wrong. I am a big fan of Mr. Palengke, I personally think he’s a brilliant senator and is currently doing a fabulous job on passing bills relating to subsidized housing among others.
But I think part of being looked upon as a public figure slash role model is the obligation to educate people of the right channels on what to chose and what not.

No comments:

Post a Comment